AIMS 2010 Retrospect

Posted in: , on 15. Jul. 2010 - 13:05

AIMS 2010 Third International Symposium “Mineral Resources and Mine Development”

May 26th and 27th, 2010 Aachen, Germany

„Managing todays resources – securing tomorrows supply“

On the occasion of the Third international symposium „Mineral Resources and Mine Development“ of the Aachen International Mining Symposia (AIMS) series, more than 380 participants from 32 countries came together at the RWTH Aachen University. The AIMS series is regarded to be one of Germany’s most prominent annual symposia focusing on the international minerals industry. It is organized by the Institute of Mining Engineering I under the direction of Professor Per Nicolai Martens.

In addition to about 50 research presentations on “Managing today’s resources – securing tomorrow’s supply”, members of the EU commission (DG Research and DG Enterprise), politicians of national and international governmental organizations, representatives of research institutions and academia, producers and suppliers discussed the field of raw materials policy in terms of mineral scarcity challenges, sustainable management of mining operations as well as latest findings in research and development of the mining sector.

Against the background of increasing prices and newly predicted shortages in raw material supply, the identification of critical raw materials as well as the demand for and the supply of such materials at national and EU level were analyzed within the range of topics of “Mineral Resources”. Furthermore, on the subject of the provision of raw materials discussions focused on options to explore deposits in Europe. The thematic area of “Mine Development” included legal, infrastructural and environmental issues. Suppliers of underground mining equipment presented their strategy to meet these challenges in their company and product development. Two trends emerged: a wider use of mechanical extraction as an alternative to drilling and blasting as well as an extensive growth in the implementation of information technology, aiming in the long term not only at automation but also the application of autonomous equipment and processes.

One concrete example was given by the “European Technology Platform on Sustainable Development” (ETP SMR), the main sponsor of this meeting alongside RAG Deutsche Steinkohle AG, Becker Mining Systems AG, Hilti GmbH and Euromines. Under the motto “Raw Materials for the Mobility of the Future”, the ETP SMR presented an electric car, provided by FEV Motorentechnik GmbH, to explain the coherency between innovative technologies of the next generation and the resulting demand for raw materials.

Professor Per Nicolai Martens is pleased to conclude: “Reports on operational experiences from all over the world offered insights in operations and processes that will definitely show the road ahead in the international transfer of knowledge and experience in mines both underground and open pit. We are already planning next year’s AIMS international conference “SDIMI 2011: Sustainable Development Indicators in the Mining Industry” (June 14 to 17) to continue this exchange in other mining areas.”

For more information, please contact:

Ms. Mirjam Rosenkranz Symposium Secretariat

Institute of Mining Engineering I RWTH Aachen University Wuellnerstr. 2 52056 Aachen, Germany

tel. +49-241-80 95673 fax +49-241-80 92272 e-mail: www.aims.rwth-aachen.de

Attachments

logo_rapid mine_2010 (GIF)

logo_sdimi_2011_ (GIF)

Write the first Reply